Sunday, March 6, 2011

Healing conference

So, last week My Farmer and I were in Redding, CA for a conference on the healing power of God. I have so many thoughts and layers of learning on the subject that my mind spins trying to figure out which parts to say, and how to say them. Perhaps in the future I will try to take bite-sized portions and turn them into a series of blog posts. For now, I think I'll just give you some bullet point nuggets to give you an overview of what God was teaching and showing me during the week.

• God will give us opportunities in life, we need to be prepared for them.
• So much of prayer has to do with listening to the Holy Spirit and praying what He gives
• Breaking off a spirit of intimidation
• Worshipping in freedom, with banners waving, dancing in joy and honoring God
• Entering a new season in life, requiring a new level, which requires increased filling from God - being intentional about pulling away for time with God
• Living with a grateful heart
• It's o.k. to not be o.k.
• Abiding is a union of infinite love
• In ministry, point others to Jesus, teaching them to go to God for themselves
• "He restores my soul"
• I do not need "balance" in my life, I need Jesus, His Presence
• Forgiveness is a key to walking as God intends
• When we allow God to heal us, He can use our wounds to help others. We become a "wounded healer."

And a few key thoughts:

"You are my child.
I am so proud of you.
You are my child.
I am so pleased with you."

Jesus taught us to pray "Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven." We would not need to pray this if God's will was always perfectly done on earth. So, while I believe 100% in the sovereignty of God, I don't think it means what I thought it meant.

Thoughts on unforgiveness:

As Christians we know that God calls us to forgive others. I think if most of us looked at the hard things in our life - wounds, betrayal, rejection, anger, abuse, etc. . . - we would say that we have forgiven the people involved. We say this because we know we should, and because we've tried to make a choice to forgive. At this conference one of the speakers gave a great list of attitudes and feelings that indicate we are still walking in unforgiveness. I found it very helpful and thought I would pass it along to you.

What can the symptoms of unforgiveness look like?

Ask yourself these questions: Is there a person to whom you tend to. . .

1. Continually rehearse the wounding scenarios connected to this person?
2. Avoid and treat with indifference?
3. Talk to others about in a negative light?
4. Carry a secret wish that they would somehow fail or feel pain?
5. Treat in a passive/aggressive way?
6. Become easily offended by?

© Bill Randall - 2011


As I listened to his explanation of these insightful questions, I found that there was some business I needed to do with God in the area of forgiveness. The speaker also gave us a great, step-by-step training, on walking through true forgiveness. It was simple and powerful and one of the most meaningful sessions of the week for me.

That's it for now. I realize it's a bunch of random thoughts. . . If any of them catch your attention and you'd like to know what I mean by it, feel free to leave a question in the comments. Perhaps that can inspire some more posts to unpack this more fully.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing about your experience. The symptoms of unforgiveness caught my attention. I think that there can be a tendency to think that forgiveness = "letting it go," not bringing the hurt up again, being pleasant in the presence of the offender. But the list of symptoms indicates otherwise.
    I imagine that when a person senses that he/she is truly forgiven, it transforms the forgiven person as well as the forgiver. So I'd love to hear more about the steps of walking through true forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you pointed out the need to let the Bible speak for itself in the "your will be done" prayer. Sometimes taking God's word on its own terms means rehashing our definitions a bit (sometimes quite a bit).

    Makes me wish we had connected when I still lived in your neck of the woods. If you're ever in Gresham and have a couple hours to kill...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was good to see you here in my neck of the woods! Wish I could have been in on the forgiving talk from Bill. Wondering how you forgive when the offense has changed your life forever and those of whom you love. Thinking I've forgiven but often wonder if I really have and what that really looks like. Something I need to look into with God I guess. Glad you were filled up while you were here. Looking foward to being in your neck of the woods soon!

    ReplyDelete